Prepare the documents

Proper Documentation Makes for an Easy Transfer

Proper customs documentation is one of the most important components of international shipping. Based on the information provided by the customer regarding their vehicles, Truck Transfer can assist to determine which shipping documents and customs forms are needed. We can also help with filling out the documents for border crossing. Review the following list of commonly required customs documents and forms.

Bill Of Sale

A bill of sale is a written record of a transaction between a seller and a buyer. It includes important information about the purchase such as the names of the buyer and seller, a description of the item, item price and form of payment. Customs requires a copy of your paid invoice / Bill Of Sale showing a $0 balance on the transaction, signed by both seller and buyer.

Proof of ownership

(i.e. Title, MCO/MSO, NVIS, Ownership)

NAFTA Certificate of Origin

Vehicles also need a North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Certificate of Origin to prove qualification for preferential tariff treatment under NAFTA. This certificate is used by Canada, Mexico, and the United States, and it must be completed by the exporter. The manufacturer of the vehicle may also complete this form to advise the exporter’s copy.

Lien Release letter

If the truck had a lien on it Customs will require an original notarized lien release letter

Letter from the lien holder authorizing the export

If there is still a lien on the truck, Customs will require an original notarized letter from the lien holder authorizing the export of the vehicle

EPA Form 3520-1

It is a Declaration Form for the importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Engines Subject to Federal Air Pollution Standards

This form must be submitted to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection to import passenger vehicles, highway motorcycles, and the corresponding engines into the United States.

DOT / NHTSA form HS-7

It is a Declaration Form for the importation of motor vehicles and motor vehicle equipment subject to federal motor vehicle safety, bumper, and theft prevention standards. This form is used by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in the United States.

Recall clearance documents

Acceptable forms of recall clearance documentation:

  1. A letter from the vehicle manufacturer’s U.S. or Canadian head office.
  2. A printout showing there are no recalls on the vehicle from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s recall page, at, or an American or Canadian dealership’s vehicle service database or Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM) web site.


Manufacturer’s Affidavit also known as a Declaration for Free Entry of Returned American Products, may be required to verify the origin of the goods and the name and address of the producer.